Tuesday, August 30, 2011

Sigh of Relief



Relief at last. Lisa back home.


Cool sky.


Believe it or not, this is the low tide following the high tide/surge combo that flooded the road. As you can see, we are very hard aground. The waterline is at the blue stripe just above the maroon bottom paint.

The stain on the lower bow is tannin from the ICW. You can scrub all you want and it won't come off. You need to use a solution that contains muratic acid among other things (On-Off is an off the shelf product most of us use). This has to be followed with a good wash down and then a wax job. We are scheduled to do this in Deltaville where I can do the work myself. I will also do a lite compound and buff job before the wax. We can't stand it when she looks like this.

The reason you may not be able to tell the bottom is maroon, is that the bottom is dirty. I try to control that the best I can wielding a long handle brush/scraper from the dinghy. It's hard work and the growth is back within a few days. New bottom paint will help. In the Bahamas I dive on it with snorkel and fins and use a scrub pad. In New York waters I become germaphobic. I need sensitivity therapy.

You can see the fenders I tied to the dock. On the port side I tied 2 spring lines mid ship, 3 bow lines, and 4 stern lines. The bow and stern lines also double as spring lines to varying degrees. That took up all the room on the port side boat cleats. On the starboard side I had 2 bow lines. There was a very nice Hinckley parked on that side that got hauled out at the last minute, so I was able to get a long breast line and stern line to take the pressure off the fenders and dock if the wind came from the north. All the dock cleats were only screwed down, so I tied the fenders to them. Then I ran the boat lines through holes drilled in the top of the dock so I could tie directly around the structural beam.


Sunset the day that the storm passed through. 

Not long after we returned to the boat the winds picked back up and stayed in the mid thirty knot range with gusts in the mid 40s. This lasted past midnight and then the wind died giving way to a beautiful sunny Monday.


We begin the process of putting her back together. 

Since the canvas was down, we polished the stainless on the bimini and dodger and Lisa worked really hard scrubbing the canvas on the dock. When we put the canvas back up we sprayed it with 303 to make sure it stayed waterproof. It looks new again. It's amazing what you can do when you have unlimited fresh water.

No comments:

Post a Comment